On April 9th, the Political Action Committee (PAC) interviewed the three candidates running for District 5 Supervisor:
The purpose of the interviews was to assess how well each candidate's positions and interests align with those of our members; and to ultimately make a recommendation to the Chamber Board of Directors for endorsement of the candidate that will best represent you, our valued members.
The candidates were each asked eight questions as follows:
- Why are you running for County Supervisor?
- What opportunities or challenges do you see with the county's budget?
- What are you prepared to do to assist with job creation in Shasta County?
- Do you believe there are problems with the County's permit process? If so, what would you do to address this?
- Under what conditions would you support a ½ cent Shasta County sales tax increase?
- Is the county doing enough to provide mental health services? Would you support a privately funded and privately operated homeless day center in Redding?
- What is your position on marijuana use? What should the Board of Supervisor's role be regarding marijuana growing in the county?
- As a board member, how will you manage the balance between standing firm to your beliefs versus finding compromise to make progress?
The above questions were developed in part based on responses to a member survey that was distributed in March. The PAC recommendation will be presented to the full Board on April 16, 2014 for decision. Following the Board decision, the Chamber will announce its endorsement(s) in a press release and in next week's Tuesday e-News.